Thursday 7 April 2011

Community Action Placement, Felix Stickland

Hi! I'm Felix, I've come down from Somerset to do my Community Action Placement as part of my scholarship with Rank Foundation.

I am currently studying AS levels at Sherborne School (Music, Music Technology and Art) with a view to go on and study an aspect of the music industry. I'm in the Lower 6th at Sherborne.
     I am involved with many of the activities around the school, most are to do with sport and music. I played for the 1st XV rugby last season and have played Sevens through-out the Lent Term. Over the coming summer I will be travleing to Australia with next seasons 1st XV.
     I am hugely involved with the music department at Sherborne, apart from studying two "musical" subjects for my A levels I am studying Guitar and Saxaphone as instrumental lessons. I playing many of the groups at Sherborne, e.g. the Swing Band (Big Band), the Jazz Band, and many of the "Rock" Bands.

Outside of school my hobbies and general interests are still heavily involved with music. Much of my time is spent recording myself, working on new material of my own, or recording other artists. At the moment I'm am writing songs for a three-piece Acoustic group playing Folk/Rock. Looking for new gigs is always on my mind.

During my time down in the Lizard with the Lizard Outreach Trust (LOT) I have done a small piece of research about young leaders and ambassidors in and around the Lizard. I have been going into Mullion school, which is in the nearby village, to help young people with different aspects of everyday school life, e.g. I sat in with the "Funk Group" and helped out the rhythum section by guiding the guitarists through the song, with myself playing, I did a similar thing with a smaller "Rock Band" which rehearsed every Wednesday in St. Keverne, I helped by playing along with them.
     One of the music workshops, in the local youth centre, I helped run with the help of another young person. We taught anyone who wanted to play along with us, showing them certain techniques of playing, scales with which to "solo" etc....

For myself I fround it a very useful experience in teaching/interacting with young people. I have hugely benefited from my time here and will use the skills I have aquired down here in my later life.....